Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pre-travel thoughts



Buenas tardes! I’m currently sitting in the Houston, Texas airport- it almost feels like I’m already in Costa Rica because I’m hearing every language except English (mostly Spanish)- which is pretty awesome. This is the last leg of my journey and I cannot wait to be there with the rest of my classmates and teachers.
I wanted to be a part of this Costa Rica study away program because it widens my perspective on social, cultural, and poverty related issues. This trip also lets me immerse myself into a different culture and most of all gives more experience with working with families and students that speak a different language (and hopefully the Spanish classes we take stick!). Overall my main goal is to take every opportunity sent my way and really get the most out of this experience. Sounds pretty simple I know, but isn’t that the whole idea behind study away programs? To be more specific my goals are very classroom orientated, I want to improve my ability to teach ESOL students and build relationships with them and their families so when I have my own classroom I can better serve those students and be a part of their support system. Another goal of mine is to get as good at Spanish as possible in a 23 days. It is obviously going to take much more practice and classes to be able to easily communicate but I couldn’t think of a better way to start learning. I truly believe this opportunity is going to give me so many opportunities to grow as an educator, a student, and an overall better, well-rounded person.
            Right now I am just so excited to be there, see the schools and meet my new host family I’m not that nervous. I’m very curious to see if there will be any type of language barrier at my new home but that is just something I will have to wait and find out. The fact that I’m not scared to go surprises me a bit to be completely honest I feel as if I should be a little more worried, mostly because this is my first time traveling alone (just on the way down there) and being this far away from my family and friends. Hopefully I get to update you all often on this bound to be amazing journey. See you in 6 hours San Jose! Hasta luego!





P.S- I've officially arrived at La Condesa (the hotel)! It is so beautiful!
Here's some pics




No comments:

Post a Comment