Friday, June 6, 2014

One last night in Monteverde..


June 6th, 2014

Holy Moly! This is my last night with my host family. I didn’t think it was possible for leaving to not feel real, because knowing I was coming here 3 weeks ago didn’t “hit” me until I had to walk away from my parents at airport security and I thought by the time today rolled around I would be anxious to return to the United Sates. This has been such a whirlwind of a trip part of me feels like we just got here and another part feels like I’ve been here for ages. I haven’t be able to figure out how a strangers home feels safe and almost comforting, probably because its one of the few “normal”, schedule ran places we have experienced.
My new host family has been so wonderful and welcoming. My Tico parents did not speak much English however they always found a way to communicate with me whether it was speaking really slowly so I could translate word for word, writing it out, finding small simple words that I might be better with. My momma Tica always made sure I had what I needed and knew my school schedule. My Tico brothers were so nice, they were always willing to help me with homework, help me translate and showed me things they were working on so I was as involved as possible with the family and the conversations. Sadly, I didn’t get to see my Tica sister much because of her work schedule but when I did she always made sure to say “Hi, how are you?” at the very least.


             Being here and attempting to immerse myself in the culture has been something that I will never forget. I have learned so much about what I’m capable of, ways to deal with different types of situations (especially those out of my comfort zone), how I view education, resources, as well as learning English as a second language, and the struggles/successes of taking a foreign language myself. 
It is weird how many similarities Tico families have with American families. There are gender roles, teenagers who spend too much time on their cell phones, neighbors babysitting or borrowing a cup of milk. Yet the surroundings are so different. The building material for home is basically polar opposite for the homes I have seen in my neighborhood. I drive to do my errands and only see paved roads, homes, business with bright lights on the sign and here we walked almost everywhere on roads that were rock and dirt, tiny stores and homes with bars on the window, and stray dogs on every corner. Side note, I’m really going to miss the fact that Pedro (small black lab mix) meets us every morning without fail.
I love that we were able to build connections with students, continue to network with teachers from all walks of life. We were even told about opportunities to return here and continue to teach and try to make a difference for those who don’t have quiet as many resources or opportunities as we do back in the States. I fully plan on continuing to keep in touch with the people I’ve met here including Kris, from the cloud forest school, my second host family, and of course the other wonderful MSU student that I probably would of never met if we didn’t come on this trip together.
As ready as I am to see my family, dogs and friends, be in my bed and take an American shower, oh and eat American food. I really don’t want to leave this place. Everything is so beautiful, and knowing I may never make it back here is saddening. Currently, I can look out from school and watch the sunset looking down on a mountain that aside from a few homes is just miles of rainforest.







If you can’t tell by now my emotions and thoughts are kind of all over the place, I always feel like I have so much to say and running through my mind but I can’t get it all on paper. I couldn’t thank my parents enough for supporting me to come on the journey, and my Grandma, Christina and Greg for the verbal support and encouragement throughout and those of you who messaged me to see how this trip was going.



No comments:

Post a Comment